Friday, August 8, 2014

Painting my sinks!

So first off you should know that there is ALOT to this project but its totally worth it if you don't have the money/know how to change out your sinks.

First you'll need to watch this video.
Removing the faucet
It will show you how to remove the faucets and the drain thingy.

Next you'll need to get the right paint. I used this,
you'll also need a good brush. I used this based on a recommendation from the guy at home depot. He also mentioned that when finished with the paint and ALL materials that the paint touched (paper towels, brush, everything) you call the Fire Dept to find out where/how to dispose of everything. Its extremely flammable and you can be fined if thrown in the regular trash. Enough with the PSA...

After you gather your supplies you have to prep the sinks. I used lime-a-way like prescribed, but I did that first. Next I used ajax (with bleach) because bleach is part of the process and I thought the two together might help me skip a step. I sprinkled that stuff everywhere and then used a damp sponge to make a paste and left the paste on overnight. It was super clean the next morning...then I pretty much followed the instructions on the box. Except I did 3 coats. Probably a mistake there. At first the paint goes on a lot like milk... on a sink. It seems like it will never cover, but the second coat really covers well. My third coat was a mistake because I got too much paint on and it started to leave drips in one of the sinks. No good. Luckily this sink isn't connected to the wall and will be an easy swap. Plus, lucky me I found a sink I really liked at the Restore the day before for $35 so I bought it and installed it instead. The other one turned out great!


I reinstalled new faucets and drains and even spent the extra $6 on each sink to have new drain assemblies. Brian hates a clogged sink and there will be NO clogs in these sinks for awhile.

Easy day.

No comments:

Post a Comment