Friday, August 8, 2014

Changing out the hideous fluorescent light!

So I hated this fixture.
Get ready to say goodbye!

First turn off the power at the breaker before starting this. If your lucky, like I was, to do this in the middle of the day with a fairly well lit area, turn on the light you want to change out and flip breaker switches until you come in and its off. You can get one of those tools to check if the wire is still hot but I didn't and I'm living to tell about it...

Take the old one out piece by piece and then be careful at the wired part.
I just unscrewed the plastic nuts thingies and kept them. For reference black=red and yellow=white, at least in this instance. You can see 2 wires dangling from a hole in the center, that was the one place the whole fixture was lit.

From this part you follow the directions that come with you new light fixture. Make sure you put the right wires together and orient the fixture the way you want it. This is a case where if you could take it apart you can put it back together again.

So simple. Much better.

Now I have to repaint the ceiling...

1 comment: