Saturday, August 9, 2014

Painting the cabinets

This is the most daunting process ever. Seriously EVER!

But ewwww


And I had read a little bit about what to do and luckily our kitchen stuff isn't here yet so I didn't have to worry about taking things out of the cabinets.


First I read this blog. http://designertrapped.com/2014/06/paint-your-kitchen-cabinets.html

Ultimately I followed her process. I took everything down
and prepped the everything by cleaning and this stuff.

Then I did the most worthless thing ever. Tape...don't tape. Get this brush
I can't tell you how awesome it is. I have 3 now...saved my life. After I used a dense roller (made for cabinets) I wasn't impressed by the texture. I read another blog.

http://www.livelovediy.com/2013/04/10-easy-steps-to-paint-kitchen-cabinets.html

This chick is trying to win a cabinet painting contest I think...but she is right about a couple things. First the brush...I'm telling you, buy one! Next sanding between coats. And last new hardware. More on that later.

So to sand. Which is why all the stuff (if I had any) would need to come out. I used 220 between the 2 coats of paint.

Next is the top coat. Same from the first blog. I also did the reccomended 3 coats but I sanded between them. Long process but worth it. I sanded with 400 between the coats. It is a very light sanding just to get the coat nice and smooth.

I did all the backs of the doors first. All 5 coats and then started the process on the fronts. That way if I scratched any backs it wouldn't be that noticeable.

On the hardware. Buy new stuff. If you attempt to paint it WILL chip. At least get new hinges. I bought mine at home depot in a value pack. But as the second blog I read mentions this hardware, its super afford a me and really nice looking.

So after painting fronts and reattaching the hardware and rehanging the doors, the kitchen looks new to me!

Now I just need new countertops!

2 comments:

  1. Hooolly poopers that looks incredible!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not a fan of painting woodwork, but I have to admit this looks much better!

    ReplyDelete