Friday, August 8, 2014

Cutting holes...in walls

You'll find throughout the course of my home updates that I have a hard time leaving well enough alone.

When I first saw the house I knew there were 2 walls I wanted to get rid of immediately. I'm no dummy and know that you can't just go knocking out walls...load bearance and all that. So I contacted a few contractors through thumbtack.com to come look at my walls and tell me if they could come out. They can!

First wall I wanted to rid of is in the master bedroom.

The reason I was t the wall out is because behind it is a huge closet that is totally unusable.
So I wanted a hole from the master to make this closet a reachin instead of the most awkward walkin from the living room.
Second wall to get rid of is in the kitchen.
I just wanted to be able to see what's going on in the living room from the kitchen. All the kids are doing it these days, having their open floor plans, I want one too!

I had the first contractor come over and I explained what I was thinking and he basically told me that my ideas were solid and an easy project.

After offering my demo services he seemed excited that I was willing to be so hands on. So I took that to mean its time for some new tools.

First I needed this to get my trim off the wall.

Also needed this.

Also I used this

to cut the cabinets with.

I was super careful not to cut too fast. I went slow in case I felt any resistance from electrical wires. I knew there would be wires and I didn't want to shock myself.

Mirrors came down. (Tape them so if they break while coming down they'll have tape all over them...)

Cabinets came down. (This is easy, find the screws in the back and release them from the wall.) Mine had to be cut because they were built as one solid unit, but my handy saw made it easy.

Tada! Holes made.


They need to be framed and what not by a professional so I left them as is until someone could come finish. I don't recommend doing that yourself, unless you are sure you know what you are up to.

Look for finishes on the big reveal day!

1 comment: