Thursday, September 11, 2014

Padded Headboard

Mr. Brian really wanted one of those super comfy padded headboards so that when he reads in bed he would have something to lean against. This seemed easy so, we made one.

First, you need to pull the weird ceiling rack installed in the garage down so you can use the plywood and 2x4s for it.

After that have Brian (insert your own man here)sit on the bed to measure how high the headboard needs to be. Cut the ply wood and 2x4s to that height and the width of the bed. We then screwed the 2x4s behind the plywood to create "legs" for the headboard and a place for me to attach the foams and material.

I had what I thought was a totally original and genius idea with how to cover this thing. But after looking at some other tutorials, I realized it wasn't original at all. The chick in this blog totally already did what I planned on. She did the tufting button thing, which Brian didn't want. Ours was more for comfort than looks so he didn't want them. Easier for me! If you want tufting, she makes it look super easy!

Foam is expensive. Seriously expensive. So I had this idea to use a foam mattress topper. It is still expensive but way cheaper that buying foam at the fabric store. Plus it is in one huge piece so you won't have to find a way to attach the pieces together. Also the quality is better. so I ordered a nice twin sized mattress topper and that became the padding. I also decided to use batting. It creates another layer of comfort plus takes all the harsh angles from the topper out. (sometimes the angles are nice, just not the look we were going for)

I didn't cut anything and instead wrapped the foam and batting around the sides of the headboard.


It will create a better visual from the side of the bed and also creates a barrier between the headboard and the wall so we wouldn't scratch/damage the wall when using the headboard.

After that you wrap the material. I used an upholstery fabric that I got in a remnant. It is super soft and sturdy. Once on, you staple the hell out of the headboard. I had those little suckers EVERYWHERE.

You'll need to be diligent around the corners so they stay tight and look nice.

We then drilled holes where our bed's base is and added a bolt and nut to attach to the bed, but honestly once we put it behind the bed and pushed the bed into it it wasn't going anywhere.

Look for the finish in the room reveal.



No comments:

Post a Comment